Sunday, March 2, 2014

Bored, Boring, or Content?

I shared this particular meme earlier this week on social media, and the comments that ensued were very illuminating and thought provoking.



I was corrected by a few, telling me I was not boring, while others jumped on board confessing their own "boringness."  In the many comments and confessions, something occurred to me.  Many do find my life to lack entertainment.  I don't have to go somewhere special, I can't stay awake to watch a movie, but I always have something to do, so even if I'm boring, I'm not bored!

Our society has programmed us to believe we have to have something going on, through all our waking hours, but the programming has also instilled the belief that leisure time and entertainment are essential to our well being.  People that work more than 40 hours a week are now called workaholics, they used to be called entrepreneurs and independent business people.  The problem our society has created in that thinking, is that we work for money, rather than fulfillment.  The idea of fun got interwoven, because so many do not like their jobs, but need the money . . . 

Fun is such a superficial term.  I can have fun working!   Forcing myself to go to a movie is not fun!  Since we are not all created with the same interests and talents, a standard definition of what is enjoyable, isn't possible.  I have friends and acquaintances who enjoy certain tv programs and some like electronic games.  I enjoy these people and if that is what they do for fun, that's great, but it's not my idea of fun.  On the other hand, these same people probably would not find my latest label designing or product formulation, an enjoyable way to spend their free time.  What has caused these friendships to form, is not our free time, but our faith.  

I have a friend who is a storm spotter, which certainly does not go in the category of boring!  I can tell by the way he talks about, it's an absolute passion of his.  It's not "fun" to him, but he certainly enjoys doing it for the reasons he has.  I look forward to hearing his reports and watching his videos, but I would never want to join him on this endeavor.  I'll stand outdoors and watch the sky, but the last thing I want to do is be in a vehicle.  I'm glad there are people who do what he does, but I'm simply not one of them.  If that makes me boring, so be it, but the practical fact of the matter is, I know myself well enough to know I'd be a hindrance.

I have a friend who likes to read, and so do I.   I could see us in the same room for an evening, but I'm guessing we'd both prefer to be in our own home in our jammies for a nice settled in evening of reading.  I have several acquaintances who like to bake, and I certainly admire that gift in others.  Baking doesn't really make anyone boring or fun, but I know it brings pleasure to their loved ones.

 We've blurred the meanings of fun and enjoyable, of boring and content.  I think many of us find the simpler things in life to be enjoyable, and being able to use the passions and gifts instilled in us by our Creator, is to be content.

 But godliness with contentment is great gain.  I Timothy 6:6        

No comments:

Post a Comment