Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Moment

There is a moment every year, to which I spend about 3 months in anticipation.  Sounds dramatic?  It's more than that and it only happens once a year.  Toward the end of January, I get out my seed stash.  I plant the bedding plants in the greenhouse, such as tomatoes and peppers.  Everything that I want to be already growing by the last frost, gets growing in the greenhouse.  Then, with great care, I choose the seeds for early planting and begin to organize the garden plans.

This is more than just gardening, though, this is truly part of my call to ministry.  When the garden season gets under way, I'll have information to share, as well as produce, if YHWH blesses me with rainfall.  Every year when this "ritual" begins, I am reminded that I've been redeemed back to the garden.  By the grace shown at Calvary brought by Messiah, we can have access back to the Father.  As this world continues to move farther away from G-d and His Word, I take this task quite seriously.  Our society is no longer agriculturally based, but humanity still needs food.  Messiah's last words recorded specifically to Peter were to feed His sheep.

It is my belief that many are going to be caught unawares as the end of days continue to gain momentum, and I have been led to establish this place for followers of The Way to gather.  Each spring, I don't hope for the tribulation, I pray for the opportunity to share gardening tips, give encouragement to first time gardeners, and share reminiscences with some who are choosing to return to simplicity.   Not to mention, gardening really is therapeutic!  And so, by mid February the corner of my counter bar is covered in seed envelopes from the year before, the tiller is primed and ready, and the first sunny day after the 14th is designated "the special day."

I've done my first gardening of the year wearing a coat, but not often.  I have a system now that is working well and I'll explain it in "Grocery Underground."  Meanwhile, February 17, 2014 was the day for the greatly anticipated "Moment."  I headed out to the garden spot, sporting short sleeves and sandals, fired up the tiller and made the first round.  Then the moment . . . when I slip off my sandals and stand in the cool freshly tilled soil and simply say Thank you to my Heavenly Father!

That moment is euphoric yet cathartic.  I feel the doldrums of winter just literally leave my mind and body, while I soak in the sunshine and my feet feel the dust of the earth, from which we were formed.  That moment is the point of time in the year in which I feel the glory of heaven while being absolutely a part of the earth.  It's not about creation, it's about our Creator!   The sun, the breeze, the soil, the sound of the animals, everything I am aware of in that moment, was made by our Creator in just one week.  As I bask in the warmth of the sun and stand in that cool soil with feet bare, I am so aware and so thankful I've been allowed the privilege of tending the garden.

And YHWH G-d took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.  Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment