Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Calling and the Culling

Scripture tells us many are called, but few are chosen.  There were some pieces that fell into place yesterday for me, that I wasn't really expecting, nor was I waiting for.  I have sought to be obedient in my walk with Messiah, so although confirming; the missing details hadn't left me feeling a lack in my life.

One of the most difficult struggles I've had in ministry is the fact that I'm a woman.  Although Mary Magdalene was the "first official witness" of the resurrection and specifically told to go tell the disciples, our society has discouraged women in ministry throughout history, and many sects of Judaism as well as Christian denominations still do.

I knew I had a call on my life, and when I surrendered to that call, I headed to both the synagogue and the church.  The timing was perfect, in that Sabbath and Sunday didn't have a scheduling conflict.  The synagogue was cordial, but unaccepting of Messiah.  The church was happy the prodigal had returned to the Father, but . . . in that particular denomination, I was told I should have been a pastor's wife, but being damaged goods [divorced] that would not be possible, either.  Now isn't it interesting that some mainstream denominations teach the law was abolished, yet cling to high priest marriage rules and tithing?  Yet I digress . . .  I wasn't called to be a pastor's wife, and with the exception of the call of pastor, the other four ministry offices are not gender specific.  

As our Heavenly Father continues to call His people to unity, we are told there will also be a great falling away.  Separating wheat and tares is not our task, but as the unity takes place, division will also.  The offices of ministry are not titles, but a responsibility that those who are called will choose to meet.  

Along with the calling, there will be a culling.

No comments:

Post a Comment