Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fresh in the Garden

I grew up with a meticulous micro-managing mother, so with that being said, I don't talk much about my  childhood.  One of the things I did love to do, was eat vegetables right out in the garden.  I had to be, let's not call it sneaky, just choose my time carefully.  I wasn't very old before I figured out, if I was with Daddy or Grandpa or Grandma, I could get away with eating right out in the garden without it being washed and without worrying about coyotes peeing on it or rabbits nibbling on it, or all the other worries that my Mother chose to entertain.

Perhaps, the rebel has not yet died in me, or perhaps the fact of the matter is, everything in life won't kill you, and fresh organic garden vegetables are probably very, very low on the list of potential dangers.  To be honest, I'm more afraid of eating perfectly washed GMO veggies than I am of fresh organics in the garden!

Now, I wash off what grows underground, and I wash everything I serve at the table, it's just some veggies beckon, from the moment you spot them on the vine or branch.  There is truly nothing more tasty than a fresh tomato in the garden!  Did you know green beans are delicious raw and radish pods are the snack to enjoy all the way from the garden back to the house?   This first year of my strawberry bed, there is really no reason to bring them back to the house just a few at a time.  It's the perfect stop for a fresh afternoon snack.

As for worrying about what critter may or may not have touched the produce, I've got chicken tight fences all around the various garden spots, so I know coyotes aren't crossing that and I use natural bunny repellent, like human hair around the garden spot, as well as three large dogs that have access to the entire place.  I'm guessing if a bunny hazards the direction of the garden, he's got a lot to deal with long before he gets to the cabbage.  Then there is the awesome fact that YHWH has promised rain in it's season if I'm seeking to be obedient to His Will.  Rain is an amazing cleaning agent!

No comments:

Post a Comment