Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Task of Preserving the Preservation

Reality is sinking in rather rapidly. I am surrounded by the beauty of nature and for that I'm truly grateful. The fact that I don't yet know who will follow to pick up this task, is an enigma I'm learning to live with. For years I believed that old saying about love and trust going hand in hand . . . well it doesn't. We can't always trust someone we love. As a matter of fact, it's completely possible and often easy to love someone we can't trust, but it's hard to like them! I think the most difficult part of realizing someone can't be trusted is the reality one has to face in the mirror. The reality that this was an obvious fact, long before we're willing to accept it or admit it. It's time to put failures and disappointments behind and move toward the mark of the high calling. I'm not really certain what all that entails, but I do know it involves looking ahead and moving forward and no longer looking back even in an attempt at reparation. Reconciliation is an act of G-d, according to the New Testament, so I'll trust that to HIM.
This week's Torah reading is about Abraham and today's reading was about his rescue of Lot, after Lot had chosen the lush and plush land that turned out to be not so friendly. It really had never soaked in and I've read this for years, but Lot first tagged along with Abraham after Abraham received the call, promise, and blessings of G-d. Then when it came to the land, Lot chose the best for himself, of course, but was taken captive from Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham had to rescue him, only for Lot to return to Sodom and Gomorrah for a few more chapters . . .
I couldn't help but notice this morning that Lot had been given much, still rescued, and yet continued to return to a place that ultimately cost him everything! Sodom and Gomorrah is throughout Scripture a symbol of indulgence and self will. I just hadn't realized that Lot was rescued more than once from that place, and although everything he had, he'd received through Abraham's blessing, he still ultimately lost it all to to his own self service. Yet even as he left Sodom and Gomorrah for the final time with fire and brimstone falling, he still offered his own solution to G-d, but Scripture never mentions the paths of Lot and Abraham crossing again. In seeking to walk in covenant, I truly don't want to be always making suggestions to G-d, and there comes a time in which rescue simply cannot be humanly offered and accomplished. I also realized today that all this occurred before the manifestation of the spiritual promise to Abraham had come to pass.
And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto El Yon, the most high G-d, the possessor of heaven and earth, That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich: Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment