Friday, November 2, 2012

Communication and Perspective

Some still believe the internet is pure evil and some have changed band wagons from pro to con, and con to pro. I know back in the 90s when my folks suggested I get a computer, I responded with, "at this time it's a modern tower of babel to me" and it was. My only college incomplete, was a computer class. When I very clearly heard a definite direction for ministry on the internet, I stepped in, totally clueless of the interactive computer workings, but sure of the leading. That was three weeks before 9/11. Much has changed in the world and on the net, for that matter.
I am blessed to have acquaintances all over the world. For many of us, the internet is the only way we know each other, but I’ve found it to also be a wonderful way to communicate with those I know in real time as well. There is something about communicating by e-mail and messaging that has helped me spiritually . . . We all know folks that are simply difficult to communicate with. Some are just not interested in listening, others already have their minds made up, and still others just want to know "the dirt." The internet keeps it easier for me to differentiate and communicate discerningly.
You know, even G-d doesn’t speak to everyone, but HIS written word is available. Being in HIS image, I’ve realized my written word accomplishes more than my spoken words ever could, and even if they are taken out of context, I have record of what I wrote in the context in which it was written.
The only verbal communication I truly participate in anymore, other than my semi-monthly trips to town, is prayer, my radio show and the time I spend talking with the critters, so probably 85% of everything I express and receive is through my keyboard and screen. My spoken communication is minimal.
As I type, I’ve come to realize, not only do I use spell check more than I thought I would, but this form of communication is also a “spirit check.” I find, I express far less that I regret, and I don’t receive as much information that is difficult to forgive. I am grateful for the time to "spirit check" my words. In that sense the computer has much more potential than the spoken word of humanity. I realize there are those who would hide behind screens typing cruelty, but discernment tells me their mouth would be no more pleasant. I've received so many more pleasant messages than unpleasant and what few unpleasant ones that have come my way, I'm just so grateful I didn't have to stand there and listen to them and I'm glad I had time to consider my response, rather than simply blurting out in anger . . .
For those I haven't met in real time, but know through the internet, I'm grateful for this opportunity, and for those who I do know in real time and this is the choice of communication, I'm also grateful . . .
Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment