Sunday, December 28, 2014

Prepare Practically

Hearing "prepare practically" through morning chores back in April, I realize about nine months have passed.  Gregorian April aligns "generally" with Aviv on Abba's calendar which is the beginning of the year.   I'm not trying to sound too ethereal, but there is an excitement that this year literally started with specific instructions for the homestead and Abba used the word "practically."  There's a spiritual excitement and eagerness that the next step is about to unfold.  I vacillate between knowing I've learned a lot and feeling like a "slow study."

In coming into full covenant, there was a great deal to "unlearn" and I'm thankful that took place in mostly familiar surroundings.  I don't think I could have unlearned so much, while attempting to learn all this.  As I look back at how "ready" I thought I was, and realize how much I had to learn, I'm humbled and actually a bit embarrassed at my chutzpah!

The first year on the starter homestead, I had no idea about heirloom seeds.  I planted all sorts of strangely colored and treated seeds!  I was also clueless about a Jacob's herd.  I spent quite a bit, and lost not a small sum trying to purchase the best of the best in registration and paperwork!   For those who may just be considering homesteading and livestock purchases, the paperwork has absolutely no bearing on the quality and flavor of the milk or meat, and is especially detrimental when a mixed herd is ordained.

By the end of the second year on the homestead, I'd "weathered" an ice storm with no power for a week, as well as a life altering crisis that left me changing bandages and serving as nurse, maid, and physical therapist, for a year and a half; while also surviving another power outage by winter . . . so much to learn, unlearn, and let go of!

The next year was the shemitah, which was highlighted with an E4 tornado in May.  I endured that particular storm on the wellhouse porch, as I went out to get the goats to the barn.  Once the goats were safely in the barn the wind was so strong and the debris blowing so fiercely, I could not make it back to the house.  By the end of 2008, Abba instructed me to do a radio show and by early 2009 the Voice of YHWH was beckoning me to move, again.  I remembered seeing the pillar of cloud earlier and realized He'd given me time to "prepare."

In looking back, I chuckle at how many times I thought I was ready . . .The latest instruction was a larger acreage, still with a well, and farther off the beaten path . . .  Within a month of beginning the radio show, I was led to a larger acreage . . . This direction was gaining speed!  I went east and the door was fiercely closed.  I looked south . . . then I remembered the pillar of cloud the day of the closing at the beginner homestead . . . I went west . . . now fast forward 6 years.

In the past six years there has been notable growth.  Although I'm still learning, the changes that are now taking place are further establishing the bigger picture.  There haven't been as many do overs, as there have been additions that are in place to stay.  There have also been some spiritual realities that I needed to accept without change!  Finally, as I enter the tenth year of homesteading, my life looks nothing like I thought it would ten years ago, much less twenty; and yet it's the life for which I know I was purposed.  Abba is so awesome in His Words with us.  He literally stated that I was to "prepare practically."  I have always been "comfortable" in recognizing and expressing my creativity, but He also created me to be utilitarian and practical.  My "roll-up my sleeves," "can do" practicality is a gift from Him.  It's taken all this time to be a peace with the fact that along with being creative, I am a practical woman!

Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee . . . Jeremiah 1:5a


No comments:

Post a Comment