Monday, December 1, 2014

Black Friday

The preservation was busy this year on black Friday.  There was no trip to town, no camping on a sidewalk waiting for doors to be unlocked, and no long lines!   I've jokingly referred to the day as the "Black Friday Massive Meat Sale."  There was no assembly required but we did have to do our own packaging.  Daddy brought down a rather large deer and in less than four hours, including a lunch break, it was ready for the freezer.  The deer weighed 150 pounds after field dressing, so there was a considerable amount of meat.  As I was working on that project, I couldn't help but think of this in comparison to the now traditional "Black Friday."


Many retailers even opened their doors Thursday afternoon or evening.  I enjoyed Thursday evening just schlepping around the house in my nightgown.  Realizing from photos that some folks now go shopping in their jammies and slippers, perhaps there wasn't as much difference as I first thought, but at least I didn't go anywhere looking like that!  Although the venison required processing, it was delivered right to my front door, with several other goodies as well.

The net results of this Black Friday non shopping were walnuts and pecans for baking, crackers for the summer sausage that will be made soon, and about 45 pounds of boneless venison in the freezer, with the other 60% heading up the road with a happy man.  There are steaks, strips for stir fry or fajitas, liver, and plenty of ground venison.   All that in less than 4 hours.  I don't have a new flat screen or i phone, but I don't really have a need for those.  Fashionista that I am, I didn't need any new clothes.  Over 100 pounds of red meat for the price of a deer tag, and the hunter was more than happy to cut me a great deal for a couple hours of work.  Perhaps I sound a bit too practical, but I think I made a haul this Black Friday.


Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat.  Torah of Holy Scripture



No comments:

Post a Comment