Sunday, January 5, 2014

Faith and Provision

Another lesson in trust and provision from YHWH, as discovered through the critters.  It's just amazing how much we can learn from animals, but then, they didn't need redemption . . . They live the way they were created to live.

As the shepherd/chicken rancher, the animals are very aware of my approach and presence.  They are aware that their provision comes from my presence.  I'm not suggesting this is a deep spiritual fact of faith on their part, but they do come running when they hear the back door open, and I can literally hear the chickens hopping off their roost in the chicken house as I approach.

Something really hit me this year, although; I've been doing it this way for a number of winters.  I chop the ice out of the chicken water before I open the chicken house door.  I feed the goats as a distraction, and chop the ice before they finish; because they trust me . . .  This year the analogy came to my mind, as to how protective our Heavenly Father is in His provision, especially when everything doesn't happen as soon as we want it to.

In chopping ice in the stock tanks and water tubs has the potential to be hazardous, even deadly.  My animals know I wouldn't harm them, and they know where the fresh water is.  The problem is, while they know I'll provide that fresh water, they don't consider the danger.  If it were someone else out there swinging a sharp object, they'd stay back, but with me, they will walk right up to the tank while I'm swinging.  I cannot imagine how devastated I would be if I injured a trusting animal.

The chickens aren't as innocently trusting, they just aren't very bright.   They gather round the water pan, seemingly oblivious to the fact that I'm even there.  So, considering one ill fated stroke with the shovel would result in a forced chicken dinner, I simply leave the chicken house door closed until everything is ready for their "mad morning rush."

I wondered as finished up the chores, how many times I've been in a such a rush, trying to go through doors not meant for me, when Abba was truly trying to just keep me from being hurt.  How many times do we presumptuously place ourselves in harm's way, calling it faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment