Sunday, January 26, 2014

Whatever State . . . to Be Content

Unable to determine a title for this article, I'm writing while hoping it comes to me before publishing time.  I've become so aware of just how existential I can be and although I am very grateful to live moment by moment and appreciate the time I've been given, in that I am also aware that it's easy to forget how differently, others live.  I need the reminder that the rest of the world isn't tucked away in a little pocket of timber in the Ozarks.

This winter has been particular harsh with bitter unrelenting cold fronts.  December brought early snow and unusually cold temperatures, everywhere.  I hadn't seen this much snow in December since I lived in the north part of the state.  I am still constantly amazed at the weather difference in less than 250 miles.  I feel quite blessed in pretty mild winters, and summers are not horrendous.

A friend and I both moved from northern Missouri within about a year of each other.  She and her husband moved about 140 miles north, and I moved about 230 south.  The winters were like two different worlds.  She'd speak of shoveling and shoveling and shoveling, and I'd be enjoying fresh garden salads before they could even begin to plant.

Of course, now, social media serves to remind us all just how different life can be in a relative short distance.  This winter, however; it seems we've all had our varying reports of fighting the elements.  As friends post photos of their neighborhoods and surrounding landscapes, I'm reminded these are not postcards, these are actual photos of what they are facing.  I'm blessed to know a number of folks through social media who truly do enjoy the climate in which they live.  I have friends in Michigan who speak of ice fishing and traveling through feet of snow.  On the other hand, I have friends in Florida who were left out of the December winter blast, but who now have their hats and mittens on at 50°.



So many of us are truly blessed to be content in the climate of our area.  Perhaps this unrelenting winter is allowing us all to share the varying reports to further appreciate the climate in which we live.  I know for myself, a few extra days of ice is nothing compared to traveling in a few feet of snow.  I also know, come this summer, a few days of perspiring in the garden will be nothing, compared to the dry desert of the Southwest or the humidity of the Gulf states.

I am very grateful to enjoy all four seasons, while none of them are extremely mild or exceedingly harsh.   I am also grateful for the increased awareness of what others are facing and enjoying as well.  It truly keeps life in perspective and hopefully a greater contentment in all things.

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:  words of the Apostle Paul to one of the early churches.


No comments:

Post a Comment