Sunday, September 15, 2013

Truth vs Tradition

We have all intermingled so much of the two of these, the sorting has become, well practically a religion of it's own!  It's almost as if the aim of some discussions are just to debate knowledge, rather than gain wisdom in truth.  I can't say all of us, but anyone with any history of religious training has received plenty of mix, and even those who were not raised with formal religious training, the mix is in our culture.

I've given a great deal of thought to what I'm to teach the next generations.  Let's face it, synagogue is basically held together with tradition of Talmud, and much of Christianity offers "the law of Pauline grace, as interpreted by each denomination."  One verse in one epistle, instructing the recipients to not judge about feasts and Shabbat has become license to ignore these wonderful blessings from YHWH, as well as ignoring the command to keep them, forever.

For me, it's simple.  If Messiah came and said to ignore the Commandments of our Creator, then He wasn't perfect and He can't be Messiah.  I believe He is Messiah and that He did not teach against the Commandments of Elohim.  If Paul preached a "different gospel" then he wasn't an apostle.  I don't believe he taught against Torah, either.  He's quoted in Acts 24:14 saying:  But this I confess unto thee, that after The Way which they call heresy, so worship I the G-d of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets:  It is my understanding to choose to interpret his teachings as anti-Torah would be the "different gospel" he was warning against!

Now, as to simple celebration without tradition, I find that difficult as well, because special things in an event often do become traditions.  I've realized in my family, the difference between a feast and a regular meal.  This isn't mandated for all who are reading, I'm simply stating a way to make some things "set apart."  In regard to special meals, as in company or celebrations there are two extra dishes that are not served with every day meals, and that is bread and dessert.  Seems the grains are for special occasions.  As I read in Genesis, bread went with the fatted calf when Adonai visited Abraham, so there are special desserts and breads that I serve with the Feasts, pretty much exclusively.  Again, this isn't to establish a new tradition, it's to make the Feast Days set apart from my usual meals.

Of course there is lamb for Passover, but not sacrificed and there is unleavened bread.  Week of matzoh involves unleavened bread specifically, and angel food cake, because it involves no leavening.   The children of Israel were given manna after leaving Egypt and manna is referred to in Psalms 78 as the "food of angels" which has become loosely translated to my kitchen, "angel food!"

I also include various breads and desserts for the other Holy Days, except of course Yom Kippur, which is a Fast.  Every year though, I've baked a Cream Wedding Cake to serve to break the fast, symbolic of course of the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, but this year is different.  I'll be breaking the fast with a myriad of fresh vegetables in gratitude that because of Messiah's death, atonement has redeemed me back to the garden.

The purpose of these Holy Days is not to debate the details and opinions or establish traditions, but to set them apart and focus on our Creator, because He has said to do them forever, for all generations . . . which means, to teach our children.  

Even all that YHWH has commanded you by the hand of Moses, from the day that YHWH commanded Moses, and henceforward among your generations;  Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment