Sunday, August 18, 2013

About Fixin'

This has not been an easy lesson for me.  I'm great with not fixing something, if it's not broke . . . but when something isn't working right, I keep working at it, and sometimes we just have to accept, it's not going to be right according to our own personal vision.  As I have found, sometimes the harder I try the worse it gets.

Now, upon acceptance of that fact, circumstances can unfold in primarily two different ways, although if it involves people and relationships, I'm sure there's four ways.  Back to acceptance.  Some things are simply beyond repair and we must either replace them or learn to do without them.  People and relationships aren't like power tools, though, so when it comes to people, we have a different sort of acceptance required.

I went through some major attempts to fix and kept trying to fix.  I kept changing me, trying to meet the expectation and I quickly learned, I was even more annoying always working at things.  I'm a fixer and I like things to work right.  What I had to learn, was my definition of "working right" wasn't based upon someone else's definition or approval of me.  Sometimes my definition of "working right" wasn't the right definition of working.  It's easy to get caught up in busying one's self and really accomplishing nothing.

Whether it's too many rocks in a garden or too many burnt bridges, sometimes it's best to just change our own plan.  Sometimes acceptance is more important than fixing.  As I'm watching the various ways other folks organize or reach out to each other, I'm seeing, when YHWH is in the plans, HE's the one who brings the working parts together, be that garden spots or community plans.

Sometimes our fixin' amounts to digging the hole deeper, in which case, we need to simply lay down the shovel.

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be the lesson I have been learning this past year. Sometimes our prayers and letting God do things His way in His time is the fastest way to fixin things. Great post.

    ReplyDelete