Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sabbath in the Spring

There is really nothing like Shabbat in the spring on this preservation. It's a very special time of year as the green appears and the garden yields an edible bouquet just for the picking. Sabbath chores are something special too. Most of the year, I streamline chores for Shabbat, but in the spring it's an even greater difference. Most of the year, I do them early on Friday evening and late on Saturday evening, but I still open chicken houses and check on everyone to make sure there's nobody caught in a fence and everyone has water and access to food.

In the spring however, when the garden is producing tender leafy greens and the goat milk is flowing while the kids are still young, Shabbat is extra special. There isn't as much cooking to do on preparation day. Since we are told Y'hshuwah picked grain and ate it right in the field, fresh food that requires no cooking or preparation is still kosher for Shabbat! Although I do enjoy this privilege through the the summer, as well, there are few things better than a fresh radish sandwich made with challeh. A fresh mix of greens, with salted radish slices and challeh is delicious, as well. Don't even get me started about fresh ripe tomatoes sliced and topped with goat cheese.

I have the added bonus in the spring of not even having to milk after sunset following Shabbat. Most of the kids arrive between late January and early March, so before I sell the kids, they spend the nights with Mom and I separate them in the morning, so I can milk in the evening. I only milk once a day, so I never have to milk on Shabbat, but spring is even better. Shabbat morning, I don't separate moms and babies. Shabbat is a special day, even for the critters. The milkers get a break from the ordinary routine and the kids love all day with mom and the "all you can eat" option!

As I understand it, Shabbat is supposed to be a set apart day, out of the ordinary. Shabbat was created by our Creator, Himself, simply to rest. As I said, throughout the year I've searched and sought to do what I understand to do agriculturally in regard to Shabbat. The examples of that are few and far between here in America, but I've learned quite a bit and been able to implement it. The closest to work I get on Shabbat is opening a chicken door and holding a calf bottle.

To be surrounded in the beauty of creation through the season of life, is such a blessing and I consider it an awesome privilege. Shabbat in the spring is truly a celebration of our Creator!

And G-d blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which G-d created and made. Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment