Sunday, September 11, 2016

Six Figures

I read and hear the reference to "six figure salary" regularly, these days.  Like everything else in our society, once something becomes common place, it's really not so special, after all.  I still remember the time when six figures was considered, "more than comfortable!"  Now, I get those offers in my email and hear a number of people talk about making a six figure salary.  I've never, personally, earned a six figure income, but . . . I've been married to a couple of men who earned a very nice living and our joint income was "comfortable."  That, however; is now ancient history and when those men were earning "comfortable" incomes, six figure offers were the exception and far from the norm.

Now that so many are "worth" six figures, that will only cause expenses to increase.  The cost of services are outrageous and the price of groceries is constantly on the increase, regardless of the cost of fuel or size of harvest.  I'm taking a different approach and embracing a different kind of challenge.  I've managed six figures on occasion, and I came to realize, the more figures to manage, the more life costs, so . . . I began my trek, heading the other direction on the economic continuum.  It seems there is always a great deal of expense and debt involved when dealing with a six figure income, and I can only imagine it's worse now that everyone is worth six figures!

I still budget and manage an annual six figures, even seven; but there is a decimal point involved.  In listening to so many people speak of their dream home, or downsizing, or homesteading, or whatever . . . I just cringe at the idea that folks really aren't taking the warning or advice to get out of debt!  Some are thinking they still have 10-20 years to get out of debt and hopefully they do.  While others seem to actually believe more free stuff from Washington will help the economy.  More free stuff from Washington is wrong on such a fundamental level, I can't even offer an opinion with any dignity, at all.

Frequently, I hear people say, "money is a necessary evil," and for now that may be true, but; Scripture tells of a day there will be no buying and selling without eternal consequence, so while I'm still using money for the time being, I have spent the last 20 years of my life, trying to reduce the dependency and necessity of it in my life.  I have a business and I have bills, but the day may come that my products are used in trading, and I learn to live without a few luxuries I now enjoy.  Please, believe me, I am not anti-money, but I am taking a stronger stand against debt.  Statistics indicate, most folks are truly living paycheck to paycheck, so that means any disruption of income could lead very quickly, to serious losses of true necessities like food and shelter.

As a boomer, I have to admit that I haven't acquired and amassed as much as many in my generation.  I also admit, I really don't care.  My goal has been to become independent of the system without amassing debt, so I've worked at this rather "slow and steady."  Slow and steady is not my nature, but in this society, "instant" usually involves debt.  In the Aesop Fable of "the Tortoise and the Hare," I'm not naturally a tortoise type individual.  That has taken my Heavenly Father to instill patience to acquire what He has ordained.  He has caused me to be content with what I have and to spend my extra money and energy on expanding this ministry and conducting business in the exact opposite manner as corporations and mega-church.  I'm here to say, it works and works quite well.  I am not independently wealthy, but in nearly 22 years of ministry, I have never asked for a donation.  YaH has provided in His timing.

As a matter of fact, this lifestyle works so well, I don't need an accountant, a body guard, or spokesperson.  My income is adequate, and my expenses are actually less than they were thirty years ago . . . My expenses seem to be decreasing as the years continue.  So, I am able to keep my product prices low, and give away for those in need, as well as make my books available through internet borrowing sites, and the extra at the end of the month is going toward the next project Adonai has for me.  It may be slow going, but by that same token, unexpected gifts have come in at very special times, still maintaining the spending within six figures . . . including a decimal point.

But my G-d shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Messiah Y'hshuwah.  Philippians 4:19 

No comments:

Post a Comment