Sunday, November 8, 2015

Found Money

This past week, I found myself in an unusual situation, that brought a great deal of introspection.  I stopped to make a real quick purchase at the Dollar General in the neighboring town, when I decided using the restroom might be a good idea before heading home.   You may think it sounds trivial, but any time I am in town, I'm at least 20 minutes from home, often more, with more than a few miles of nothing but rocks and bumps on dirt roads.  So, I parked my shopping cart and headed to the back.  An employee was cleaning the unisex bathroom, so I waited while she finished sweeping and tying up the trash bag before gaining access.  As I walked in, I saw a folded up bill on the floor.  Although the numbers weren't apparent, with the new "monopoly" colorization in our currency, it appeared to be a twenty.  I took a photo, then leaned over to pick it up, and to my utter shock, found more money under it!


The single bill was indeed a $20.00, and what had been under it on the floor were four more twenties folded neatly together.  Immediately, the thought occurred to me, it must have fallen out of the employee's pocket, that had just cleaned the restroom.  Meanwhile in all this excitement, the original reason I was there came to mind, so I tended to business, washed my hands, recounted the money in disbelief, grabbed my purse, and headed out the door to find the employee. Surely the money hadn't just been laying on the floor while they cleaned.  She was still in the back room, so I asked her if she'd lost any money.  She checked her pockets, pulled out a couple of dollars and said, "No."  With her cash being accounted for, she said a delivery man had used the restroom right before she had swept, so perhaps it was his.  He was still unloading, so we asked.  He said he always ran on a debit card, so it wasn't his.  He then asked me how much I'd found.  I was a bit hesitant, and simply said . . . more than $20.00.

The employee then directed me to two more employees, who both stated they had not lost any money.  So, what's a girl to do?  I went out to the "buggy" and as we pulled out of the parking lot, I informed Mr. B that he wouldn't believe what had just happened.  With that, I began telling the story.  He couldn't imagine that the employee had overlooked it on the floor, while sweeping.  I shrugged and said, perhaps I should have left my card, but then several thoughts collided in my head.  The amount of money indicated someone would clearly be missing it.  I could have left it, to see if anyone claimed it.  I could turn it into the police. To be honest, I also gave a moment's consideration that a drug deal could have gone down . . . and it wouldn't be claimed.    I could definitely call back later to see if anyone had returned looking.  I figured if the money was not claimed within 48 hours, then clearly someone in need of $100.00 would be crossing my path.

My mind was in quite a whirl there for a moment.  I've just never found $100.00 lying on the floor!  Once the course of action for the rest of the day, was determined; I gave a bit of consideration as to how I might have handled that back before following Messiah.  I'm relatively sure I'd have done the same thing in the store, as I was "relatively" honest before being born again.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even considered the notion that I'd give away $100.00.  I'm also unsure as to whether I would have made a follow up phone call that evening.  I then gave thought to the employees who checked their pockets to make sure they hadn't lost just a couple of dollars.  Would I have even attempted to find the owner of a couple of dollars or even $5.00?  So many questions, and the answer boiled down, not to money, but to the value of honesty.

That evening after chores I called the store.  I was told someone had come in a few hours later, asking if anyone had found any money.  They left their name and number, and the amount that had been lost.  Sure enough, five $20s.  I told the employee who answered, it was too late for me to return before closing time that evening, but I'd bring it in the following day.

One Scripture continues to come to mind since that day.
If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?   Luke 16:11
  

No comments:

Post a Comment