Monday, January 28, 2013

Benefits Have Costs

So often we want the good times without any upset or effort. I'm not one of those that believes we wouldn't know good without bad, but the books of Job and Ecclesiastes, as well as many others, do tell us we will experience both in a lifetime. I'm not really going to address good vs. bad, but rather the fact that we as a society tend to have redefined and categorized "work" or effort in the negative column. It doesn't belong there. Work is not the consequence of sin, thorns are. Man was created to tend the creation on earth. Tending is work, we just got away from the concept.
Even though I love my life off the beaten path, I do try to remain apprised of the goings on of the beaten path, and the beaten path has been taking quite a beating as of late. As a matter of fact, it would appear the those on that path don't really know what's next, but that seems the path of bad, not only in destination, but in the journey itself.
When I think of the time I spend doing chores, as opposed to driving to work, about the same difference, except the animals are good til evening, and when the drive reached the destination, the work was only beginning. When I think of the time in the garden verses time on "the clock," and consider the cost of groceries, I'm not sure I could afford to have a "real job." I do know I wouldn't eat as well or be able to share as much.
When I consider the work I do from home on the computer, verses working on a computer at a place of employment, I am reminded that I can also have dinner simmering on the stove or baking in the oven, and hear the washer going through it's cycles to produce clean clothes at the end of the day, rather than coming home to a pile of dirty laundry.
I hear many people discussing "manna" as the end of days seem to be upon us, and I know YHWH can do that, but considering the demographics of this nation, I don't expect it. According to census data and geography, there are over 5 acres of land per person in this country. Granted, it's not all row crop ready, but it doesn't require a fraction of an acre to produce a garden large enough to feed a family, so I'm thinking a sustainable, renewable food supply is a better choice than doing nothing and expect G-d to produce when I've ignored the Instruction of His Son, to "be ready."
I've had the privilege of seeing women who married men who were either hard working or large earning enough, to not have to work. I realized years ago, I simply could not live a life that purposeless. I am not talking about the stay at home moms that home school, garden, and sew; that is very much purposeful and planned by our Creator. I'm talking about the women who send their man off to work, kids off to school and settle in to talk radio, TV, or computer time. I simply could not call that living. I like the benefits of work, and it's not just what the work produces. I like feeling accomplished and even tired at the end of the day. I believe it gives me a better attitude for the next day.
I believe the benefits far outweigh the cost of living simply and walking with my Creator. The cost of purposeless leisure seems to be too large a price to pay for a benefit I can't appreciate or respect.
I truly do want the benefit of the work involved in being a Proverbs 31 woman. To just be that accomplished, I would count a great benefit and in considering the cost, it would be time well spent.
Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment