Monday, December 26, 2011

Blessings . . .

Here on the preseration we observe "Christmas" very quietly. This year, it was nestled into the week of Hanukkah, so there was a bit more to contend with in town as we shopped for Hanukkah, but I digress.Yesterday I was blessed to bake a spice cake while listening to Handel's Messiah and wrapping the last of the Hanukkah gifts. Tonight is the last official night of Hanukkah, but due to demands outside of our control, we're going to enjoy a belated celebration with my daughter and her family later this week. Since Hanukkah isn't one of the "official High Holy Days" I hope G-d doesn't mind us stretching it from 8 days into 2 weeks, just this once! Back to blessings. I've been sort of keeping a mental list of things I really enjoy or appreciate and today seems a good day to mention a few of the small things in life that I simply take for granted. I believe this thinking is essential to being satisfied and probably a very pivotal perspective in embracing the preservation lifestyle. Today the first of the new year's herd arrived. He seems pretty lively and his mama seems to be a good mama, so for that I'm grateful and feel quite blessed. Since he's the first this year, he belongs to G-d and G-d hasn't yet told me what He wants me to do with him. Since we've lived here, I've enjoyed being able to help others get their herds started or established with the first fruits of our herd, so I'm excited about it. The mama is already a promised gift to a young couple establishing their lives in a simpler and less dependent manner, and knowing them is also a blessing . . . When I think of it, one blessing just leads me to think of another blessing. I love it! I've been blessed to enjoy the early mornings reading my Bible and devotions and already be starting my work day as the sun is rising. Big blessing! In my writings, I've mentioned the usual blessings like yummy goodness from the garden, better health than was forecasted years ago, wonderful grandchildren, a beautiful daughter and a buddy-in-law that's about to become my son-in-law. I have to share, though, I'm really enjoying some of the small unmentioned blessings and one of them recently just makes me so aware of how truly and abundantly I'm blessed. Now as you read this, you may be thinking . . . what???? But let me finish. I'm blessed to have more than one pillow. Considering the situations of homelessness and poverty, I've recently realized just what a luxury extra pillows are. I love the feeling of laying my head down on a cold pillow. I just like the feel of it, always have. When I was a very small child, I'd put my pillow on the tile floor when I went to bed, just to get it cool. Oh, and hardwood floors worked just as well, when we moved. Now, as an adult I rotate pillows. I always have one under my head and one on the floor. It may sound quirky, but so many of us are comforted by some pillowy soft something at night and for me, it's a cold, cold pillow. Having more than one pillow keeps that maintained. When I hear someone refer to their financial status as "comfortable," the first thing that runs through my mind, is 'they can afford' extra pillows.
. . . and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep. Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment