Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tis the Season

This time of year marks a very special treat for our family. This is the time of year that pumpkins are sitting around ornamentally with no particular purpose apparent . . . or so it used to be. My grandkids and I have two very special dishes we create using full whole pumpkin. Not only is it a special treat through this season, but if there's enough to can, we enjoy it all year long. A word of CAUTION when canning pumpkin. It needs to be pressure canned according to the instructions! That's not to say you can't be creative, but the basic pumpkin preservation instructions are important. The following recipe was so well received by my grandchildren, they told me, I didn't need to make pumpkin pie again! I was getting ready to make this delectable treat, when I realized I couldn't remember where I'd jotted down my recipe. I was going through some old paperwork last night and lo and behold . . . Here is my recipe for Pumpkin Butter. 9 Cups pumpkin, pureed; 3 3/4 Cups Sugar; 3/4 tsp Salt, 1 1/2 Tablespoons gr Cinnamon, 2 1/4 tsp ground Ginger, 1 1/4 tsp ground Clove, and 3/4 tsp ground Nutmeg. Simmer until thick, about 2 hours. Place in pint canning jars and follow Pressure Canning directions. Best when served on a Ritz or HiHo with a dollop of whipped cream and gathereth her food in the harvest. a Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment