Sunday, November 16, 2014

Peace in Paradise

Sometimes I wonder what life in paradise will be like without conflict.  As believers, we seem to be easily drawn into discussions that become debates, then division, moving on to doctrines, and ultimately denominations.  If paradise consists of no more than the absence of conflict, that alone would be heavenly and quite foreign to humanity.  As I sit here imagining shalom, I think of everyplace it is missing.  Just how many concepts are defined by their absence?  Who can define normal?  Yet everyone has their view of what is abnormal!  I think peace is the same thing.  It seems many describe peace based upon the external atmosphere, rather than emanating from within.

To many, peace is associated with nature.  A walk in the woods means peace to some, and for others peace is envisioned at the water's edge.  Nature is not exactly synonymous with peace, but nature is the work of our Creator, and true peace also comes from our Creator.

The past couple of years have shown me that making peace, keeping the peace, and being at peace are very different.  I first began this discovery a couple of years ago when I had to make peace with the fact some folks don't want peace.  That was such an eye-opener!  There really are people who would rather argue and even tear down relationships than to enjoy others.  Some people truly do enjoy high tension and conflict.  They will literally invade an atmosphere of calm, with upheaval.  It's almost as if they carry a bag of chaos like a suitcase.  They carry it with them fully packed and ready to open, at all times!  Ah, the memories . . . I'm so sorry I didn't learn this truth sooner.  The reality is, it's actually in their heart.  

I like peace, I'm willing to go to great lengths to enjoy peace.  I used to try to make peace, but that doesn't work.  I've dug my heels in trying to keep peace, but ultimately that's a showdown with those who prefer chaos and tension, so I sought Abba on the matter.  He gave me peace in knowing I don't have to make peace with everyone, His favor will cause even my enemies to be at peace with me.  I don't have to keep the peace, for He has said the battle is not mine.  He has called me to be at peace in Him.  His peace is shalom.  Shalom is not defined the way we define peace, politically.  Not at all.  Shalom is a calm when all around is chaos and shalom is acceptance when those we love choose chaos.

A friend shared this from Passion for Truth ministries

God's people are called to make peace (Matthew 5:9). Interestingly, our English word 'peace' is translated from the Hebrew, 'Shalom,' which is spelled: Shin (ש), Lamed (ל), Vav (ו), Mem (ם). If you take the meanings of the individual letters in 'Shalom' and put them together, you have "destroy (Shin) the authority (Lamed) that brings (Vav) chaos (Mem)." The letters of the word 'Shalom' tell us that in order to have true peace, the authority that brings chaos must be destroyed! Furthermore, Satan is truly THE authority that brings chaos. How then do we destroy his authority and make peace? According to James, we destroy his authority by responding to chaos with Godly wisdom (James 3:13-18). We must not add to the chaos by engaging in fighting and quarreling (James 4:1-6); rather, we resist the devil so that he must flee (James 4:7). Let your pride die. Be a peacemaker. Destroy the authority that brings chaos to your life.

This definition has confirmed a great deal of what I've come to understand in the last few years.  Attempting to make peace in some relationships was truly pride on my part.  Attempting to make peace in destructive relationships is not the same thing as being a peacemaker.  Being a peacemaker is not a call to compromise.  We do have to see reality.  

So, how will the body fare through eternity with nothing to debate?  Confusion and chaos will not be present in paradise.  Once those two are completely gone, the body will be amazed at how much we have in common.  
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of YHWH.  Matthew 5:9

No comments:

Post a Comment