Friday, February 3, 2012

Vision and Preparation

Probably what truly makes people of the preservation different than mainstream society, is their vision for the future. People of the preservation are very legacy minded. As our society becomes more and more focused on instant gratification and entitlements, some of us are "paying in" for the next generation, as well our own and the previous one. But in this case, "paying in" isn't financial, it's making preparation that the next generation can be sustained. There may be a time when money doesn't buy anything a person needs. Scripture is quite clear in regard to a specific cost of buying and selling; at some point the cost will be one's soul. So, preparing for the next generation's needs, and the generation after that, seems pertinent. Monday, I'm planting fruit trees. Oh, I've planted a few along the way in life, but this time, I'm planting a small orchard. There's an old saying, or witticism, or something that states, people don't plant trees for themselves, they plant them for the next generation, and I believe this is the privilege of the "elders." I believe it's the most stable gift I can leave my grandchildren. Oh, if I have any money left when I'm gone, they can have it, but who's to say it will have any value . . . And they can have my "stuff," and I'm sure there will be sentimental attachment and wonderful memories associated with some of my "stuff," but it will still only be "stuff." Trees on the land, fruit trees, will be perpetual, G-d willing and that's a "paying in" I enjoy. I'll be planting my fruit trees this coming Tuesday. Tuesday is specifically significant, in that according to the Hebrew calendar, the 15th day of the 11th month marks the day in which the sap begins running the other direction in the tree. The dormancy ends as spring approaches. At this same time, I'll also be starting my plants that need to be set out rather than sown, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, etc. I'm amazed at the number of places potting soil and seedling beds are now available. Vision and preparation are not about geography. Vision and preparation are a matter of the heart. Preparation for the next generation can and should be in the heart of every child of G-d that is blessed to be a parent and/or grandparent . . .
Lo, children are an heritage of YHWH: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. Holy Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment