Monday, December 3, 2012

The Right Hand of Fellowship

I've heard that saying in reference to "church friendliness" and often those of us of Abrahamic covenant are offered the left hand of fellowship, but that's not the topic here today. I take Scripture literally, and by that, I don't mean I confuse symbolism. There is a difference between literal and figurative, but I believe there is not as much symbolism and figurative narration as folks would choose to believe. I've been amazed at the number of times in Scripture that we are told that Elohim takes us by our right hand. I've taken great comfort in this fact for a number of years, but this past week or so, I've also been convicted of a hard, hard reality. I'm recovering from a broken right arm, for the second time since June of this year, and in seeking and searching, I realized a very startling fact regarding the other time I broke it back in '99.
I'm left handed and the fact that it has been my right arm every time, has been curious. We naturally reach out in an attempt to catch ourselves or protect ourselves with our predominant hand. So why is my right arm taking a beating? Because in all three situations, I had let go of the hand of Elohim. I didn't realize I had until this last time, and it won't happen again, I pray, but it was a circumstance of reaching out to offer assistance, but not realizing I was only being used. Three times and by the same person! I don't mind being used, but it was cloaked in some sort of attempt toward fellowship. That's what I was missing. I so wanted to offer and extend the right hand of fellowship, that I offered it in the flesh . . . three times now in my ministry. The first time was less than a year after I began to facilitate an inner city mission. A family member in need had come to stay for a time, as a matter of fact, I was just finishing up the painting to open the doors of this mission, when I received the news of impending arrivals. Believing I was doing the "right thing" to help and I am still glad I helped, but I didn't discern the portions of the flesh that crept into the help . . .
Now, fast forward, 13 years. Ah, the number 13, the Christian numerologists call it rebellion or judgment or something bad. Anyway, I had already heard YHWH say that this door for family members relocating here, was not open. So, I hostessed while they searched neighboring addresses. As the opportunities continued to dwindle and the issues continued to escalate, it became abundantly obvious that no one's heart was in the work to which I'm called, myself included . . . I hadn't had a change of heart, I couldn't fit enough hours in the day. Hostessing and attempting to keep the peace was taking precedence over my other tasks and I was physically wearing down. By the first of June, some MS symptoms were appearing and not being one to sit down and give in, I continued to try to burn the candle at both ends. This resulted in a great evening at the goat auction, but a calamity in the unloading resulted in a broken arm, which put me on the injured reserve list for sure. Now, not only was I not getting everything done that needed to be done, I was certainly disadvantaged to an even greater degree.
That was through the time of this blog being suspended due to confusion. When I fell and broke my arm again the last day of September, I knew it was spiritual and I knew I needed an answer. With all the references in Scripture to being taken by our right hand and HIS right hand of protection. I'm so thankful HIS arm is not shortened and HE doesn't get broken.
I was told to call the neighbor and to be a witness unto Y'hshuwah. That I did, and when I got alone and into the Word, I found passage after passage of HIM taking HIS servant by their right hand. Well, I'm mended once again, better than either healing before, but like Jacob's limp, I have a reminder. If those who come are not interested in walking in covenant, there will be no peace keeping, I'll simply offer food and water for their continued journey.
I have set YHWH always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment